Edwin Raymond Tucker, 1913-1990
Edwin Raymond Tucker was born on 12 August 1913 in Detroit, Mich., to Charles and Mary Tucker. Ed was the third of five children (his oldest brother, Cecil, died four months before Ed was born). His family moved to Luther, Mich., in 1914 and by 1915 they had moved to Bad Axe where Edwin's two sisters, Dorothy and Grace, were born.
Ed with older brother, Ralph, and younger sisters, Dorothy and Grace:
Before completing high school Ed had moved to Flint, Mich., where he worked for various grocery stores including Skinner's Meat Market. On August 6, 1939, he married Anna Graham Adair, daughter of Roland and Isabella (Richardson) Adair, at the home of Anna's aunt, Mary Richardson Burgess, on Davison Rd. in Flint. By 1950 they had moved to Stanton, Mich., where they managed the IGA store which they eventually purchased.
Photo courtesy of White Pine Library in Stanton:
Ed and Anna in 1964:
In 1965 they moved to the neighboring town of Sheridan where they owned and operated another IGA store until they retired in 1979. In 1986 they moved into a retirement complex in Frankenmuth, Mich. (Independence Village at 255 Mayer Rd., Cramer House, Apt. # 114), where they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. Ed died on 24 January 1990 at St. Luke's Hospital in Saginaw, Mich. He was buried in Sunset Hills Cemetery in Flint.
© 2008 - , Thomas D. Adams